Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Start of Lent & a healthy smoothie

Happy Hump Day! That does not have the same meaning to me since I don't work.

I had a nice day, did my exercising first thing on my Wii Fit (Yoga/Strength training routine) and then played 10 minutes of aerobic games on it. My Lent promise is to exercise a minimum of 20 minutes each day and I can have 1 day off a week. Yes, I know that is lame but it's a start to get back in the habit of exercising every day. If I had to commit to an hour a day I know I wouldn't do it, so I'd rather do a little something than nothing.

For breakfast I made a healthy shake:

1 bunch kale (about 1 cup packed)
1 apple, cored, but not peeled
4 HUGE whole strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1 cup 1% milk

All ingredients were cold so I did not add ice, I don't like ice blended drinks, they give me headaches. This was very good, the apple and fruit offsets the Kale perfectly.  The color looks like sage, which was better than the gray I was expecting!  You could add banana or any fruit or juice to this and could use yogurt instead of milk. I will definitely be drinking this more.
 
I made a Walmart trip today to get a bunch of things we need. I rarely used to go to the store because I worked and I didn't want to deal with the "people" that were out after work and on the weekends, but now I can go during the work day or early in the morning and I avoid most of that, it's fantastic. Whenever I do go, I always find myself in the housewares section. I don't even know why I want all those kitchen gadgets that I know I will never use, I just do. Then my practical side kicks in and tells me that I have never and will never use that gadget that I am holding and I put it back. Geez, just 2 weeks ago I cleaned out my kitchen drawers and was cussing at all the gadgets in there that I never use.  It must be an obsession or something. I did buy some bowls that we need, they are made by Nordic Ware, made in USA, dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe and are free of BPA and melamine. I am very happy with them and will hunt for more things from this manufacturer. I avoid buying things made in China.
 
Tonight was also dinner with the boys. Two of our sons live close to us and we try to get together once a week for dinner. Mostly we order in, but some nights we might grill something or make Mexican food. It's hard to believe sometimes that they are all grown up and out on their own. I still remember our youngest struggling to learn to tie his shoes. Oh the memories and the stories I could tell about the boys.

The skies were beautiful tonight after dinner, but I didn't grab my camera quick enough to catch the colors in time or I would have posted a picture, darn it.
 
Have a great night,

Cheryl





No comments:

Post a Comment