Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mom's 6 week Coleslaw

Happy Sunday!
 
Since I had left over cabbage from St. Patrick's Day, I decided yesterday to make coleslaw and finished mixing it up this morning. I usually make it with a mayonnaise base, but decided to make my Mom's recipe instead. I've really been missing her a lot lately, more than normal for some reason.



Mom's 6 week Coleslaw
 
1 quart chopped cabbage
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 small onion, finely chopped
 
Combine the above ingredients in a large bowl.
 
Add:
2 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
 
Leave above mixture set overnight in the refrigerator
 
Drain the next day
 
BOIL the following ingredients:
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup sugar
 
When cool, add it to the cabbage mixture. Mix well.
 
Can be refrigerated for up to 6 weeks.
 
I doubled the recipe and also added a heaping teaspoon of pepper when I was adding in the vinegar, water and sugar mixture this morning. I love pepper in coleslaw. I can't wait to try it with the homemade baked beans and stuffed pork chops we will be having for dinner tonight.

I took the day off from exercising and I think I will drag out my sewing machine and do some sewing today.

Have a great day!
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment