Monday, May 5, 2014

Cinco de Mayo

It's Cinco de Mayo today which is heavily celebrated in our neck of the woods. It's a Mexican celebration of the victory of the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The history is, that this battle was important for at least two reasons. First, although considerably outnumbered, 4,000 Mexican soldiers defeated a much better-equipped French army of 8,000 that had not been defeated for almost 50 years. Second, since the Battle of Puebla, no country in the Americas has subsequently been invaded by any other military force. People confuse this day and say it's Mexican Independence Day, but it's not. That's your history lesson for today, aren't you glad you stopped by?
 
It is much cooler today, but very windy. It was great for walking, I did 30 minutes on the hill before the sun peeked over the mountain and the temp was 59, just perfect! Now I just need to keep it up because I am getting ready to drink some Margaritas right now!
 
I am not sure if my walk was enough to cover that cherry pie last night, which by the way was a hit. They slid right out of the pans and I topped them with ice cream. Next time I will not put them on a cookie sheet because I don't think they heated up enough on the bottom to cook through because they were a little doughy, but I thought they were excellent and I'm not really a dessert person.
 
 
Not much else going on today, making tacos for dinner and all the typical sides, chips, guacamole, salsa and hot carrots.
 
I sat outside for the longest time today trying to get a good shot at some hummingbirds in action, but they didn't turn out real well since I was in the shade. I will try again another day.
 
Have a great night, drink responsibly and thanks for reading!
Cheryl
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment